What The Welland did for me?
I will forever be grateful for what my time at The Welland taught me, I have always loved dance and always will, as well as this, throughout my 9 years there, I learnt how to be disciplined; in a way that I now pass on to my pupils.
However, the thing I am most grateful for that The Welland did for me is the confidence I gained there. I have never been the most confident person and never will be, but every time I doubted myself or my ability (especially working towards exams!!) Miss Debbie refused to let me think anything other than positively. If I ever had a wobble during auditions or performing in the years after The Welland but before becoming a teacher, I would always remember Miss Debbie saying to me "Harriet - you can do this, just smile, when you smile you light up a room." That one sentence has stuck with me all of these years and I am so grateful for that.
For that, I am always mindful of what I say to my pupils as I know the lasting effect it can have!!
Thank you Miss D & Miss Debbie!
- Training/ Education:
- Brooksby Melton College - BTEC Dance & A level in Theatre Studies
- Edge Hill University - BA(Hons) Degree in Dance
- Nottingham Trent University - PGCE in Further Education for Performing Arts (dance specialism)
- Siblu Holidays, France - Entertainer (3 years); Dance Captain & Assistant Choreographer (1 year)
- Thomas Cook, Spain - Entertainer
- Santa Safari, Norway, Finland, Sweden (Lapland) - Tour Rep/ kids entertainer/ character work (elf!)
- The Panto Bus, UK Tour - Dick Whittington - Alice Fitzwarren/ Assistant Tour Manager/ Dance Captain/ Choreographer; Cinderella - Fairy Godmother/ Dandini
Since gaining my PGCE in 2013 I've worked as a freelance dance teacher in colleges, schools and theatre schools.